Last year, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) in Washington, DC, sponsored its first ever “Safe and Sound Week.” This year, OSHA has announced that the third week in August will be host to this event. Safe and Sound Week promotes workplace safety awareness nation-wide. Participation in this event displays a commitment to safety through management’s leadership and employee participation. With heightened awareness, employees will be better prepared to identify hazards, protect themselves when necessary, and alert supervisors when corrections in the workplace are needed.
The Department of Human Resources Division of Risk Management is excited to announce we will be holding Henrico’s very first Safe and Sound Week!
Safe and Sound Week events will be held on August 14 at the Department of Public Works East End Depot on Dabbs House Road from the hours of 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and on August 15 at the Department of Public Works West End Depot on Woodman Road from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Along with County departments, Risk Management will have safety-oriented exhibits on display for County employees to experience.
In addition to the safety exhibits, the County will provide a FREE Kona Ice truck on both days. Employees who participate in safety-oriented activities will have an opportunity to win raffle prizes as well.
Safety and health programs help businesses and municipalities by:
- Preventing workplace injuries and illnesses
- Improving compliance with occupational safety and health standards
- Reducing costs, including significant reductions in workers’ compensation premiums
- Engaging employees so that they’re mindful of safe work practices at all times
- Enhancing social responsibility goals
- Increasing productivity and enhance overall operations
- Keeping employees, an organization’s most valuable resource, safe and sound
Mark your calendars and come see what Safe and Sound Week is all about!